Thanks to the magic of networking, serendipity or synchronicity, I had the pleasure of attending a meeting of the Digital Policy Alliance aka EURIM.
When I suggest ‘Data Science as the virtual opportunity for the Internet of Things’, I’m proposing the following:
- The exploitation of my 3 innovative software methods for the public interest
** analysing and visualising numerical data, i.e. time series, multi-dimensional data and images
Forecasting any Time Series
Layering Complex Data
Re-visualising Digital Images in ’Visual’ and ‘metric’ 3D
2. The creation of Smart Knowledge Portals with ‘domain experts’
** The independence of application and scale requires
i. ‘expert users’ as ‘gate keepers’;
ii. less skilled operators when automating ‘number comparisons’ in real time.
** The underlying ‘numeric acrobatics’ require
i. pattern recognition with the familiarity of ‘domain expertise’;
ii. verbal interpretation through taxonomies and dictionaries;
iii. developing standards from the quantifications that the software offers.
3. To begin with a ‘Smart Energy Portal’ seems to me eminently important for UK plc
** A visualisation SME and a data base SME are waiting to become part of the project team;
** The new Data Strategy Board Breakthrough Fund could have been an appropriate avenue – but it only applies to Local Authorities and Government Departments and Agencies and the deadlines for application have lapsed… The consistent lack of funding is truly appalling, given the claim to wanting to take world leadership positions…
- The Smart Energy Portal could become part of the ‘National Core Reference Data’ of Public Sector Information (PSI) – recommendation 2
- A ‘data intelligence and innovation group’ is recommendation 3 on page 13
- Recommendation 6: build skill-sets in ‘basic research’ and ‘practical immediate value’
- Recommendation 7: fully embed an analytics approach within policy making, i.e. ‘Data for MPs’ or ‘Smart MP Portal’
- Recommendation 9: a ‘mixed economy’ of public and commercial sectors.
- To integrate data silos is a new platform of opportunity for the Digital Economy
** building ‘smart knowledge portals’ is a unique contribution
** starting with ‘mixing’ public sector and commercial data seems to be just the right challenge for a wonderful group such as the one I experienced yesterday.
- Making Sense Of The Internet Of Things (industrialwirelessmodem.wordpress.com)
- Internet of things: the limit is our imagination (innovationpills.wordpress.com)
- Making Sense Of The Internet Of Things (techcrunch.com)
- Global Internet of Things Market: Location Based Context Aware Opportunities, Analysis And Forecast Report 2013-2023 (virtual-strategy.com)
- What’s Holding Up The Internet Of Things (readwrite.com)
- Internet of Things (IoT) & Machine-To-Machine (M2M) Communications Market to Reach $290.0 Billion by 2017 at a CAGR of 30.1% – New Report by MarketsandMarkets (prweb.com)
- Data Science Leaders Connect the Dots with Big Data this September (prweb.com)
- The Internet of Things: Buzzword or Big Business? (datacenterknowledge.com)
- Surveillance and the Internet of Things (schneier.com)
- The Internet of Things (offshorewesterly.wordpress.com)