The gap between scientific and business language does not seem to narrow despite computer screens as the common medium:
- ‘big business data‘ seems to concentrate on ‘non-structured‘ data relating to patterns of consumption, as growth of profit, turnover and productivity are the ‘mantras’ in companies that are expected to sell or be bought up…
- ‘very big science data‘, however, consists in my view mainly of ‘structured‘ data, i.e. time series:
- financial or originating from sensors: measurements from instruments;
- but ‘big business data’ can ALSO be expressed in time series;
- better business strategy decisions can be taken
- better policy can be made
- and who knows what scientific improvements can be made!?…better
On the Benefits of ‘3dM Diagrams’
3dM Diagrams ‘unclutter’ Excel graphs:
3dM Diagrams create ‘visual priorities’ and new insights for ‘optimal slopes’.
|3dM Diagrams are generic, i.e. independent of domain and of time scales.
They can include forecasts derived from new algorithms.Thus they allow for:-· linking ‘data silos’ and comparing different time frames – which leads to
Ø contrasting short, medium and long term trend periods defined by ‘domain experts’;
· ‘data experts’ discovering correlations – which leads to
Ø defining ‘optimal slopes’ for automating ‘big data’ and real time processing;
· enhancing processes that influence interdependencies – which leads to
Ø improving policy by making better informed decisions from connected data silos.
3dM Diagrams illustrate for Domain and Data Experts