The very convincing and compelling keynote was given by Stephen Coulson as his success story with pi2.com – Perform, Protect, Improve – to develop water repellant coating for electronics and hearing aids.
The complete programme of speakers is published here. I showed these five slides in five minutes in the afternoon, demonstrating Mona Lisa opening her eyes for this elite audience as an apparently unforgettable event. I now need to look for ‘end users’, I’m told.
I noted here particularly those who I thought would benefit from using our method to re-visualise images in True Colour 3D – the tool with which ‘domain experts’:-
- define selection criteria in terms of whole images, series of images or regions of interest;
- set boundary conditions in terms of numerical values for Digital Colour Brightness that the software visualises;
- so that ‘off limit events’ can be flagged up during Smart Monitoring.
Patrick Cullen from UCL spoke about Ionic Solutions of Two-Dimensional Materials
Regarding 2D nanomaterials:
- size matters!
- properties: enhanced hardness with excellent toughness and even flexibility!
- these are the qualitative measures I’d like to see quantified with the aid of our imaging method!
He called graphene the archetype of 2D nanomaterials!
Dr Yuri Zhuk – from Hardide Coatings Ltd presented Nanostructured CVD Tungsten Carbide Coatings protect against Wear, Erosion and Corrosion
Thomas O’Loughlin – from Texas A & M University – spoke about the challenges of separating oil from water which the Canadian Oil Sands Corporation needed.
Dr Alistair Kean is an independent consultant @nikaworks.com – bridging the cultural and financial gaps between industry, academia and individuals. He recommended visiting the images that Johnson Matthey make available. I had begun to re-visualise gold and platinum pictures!
Here are my bullet points from his presentation about Functional Coatings for Healthcare:
- Structural vs bulk coating – moving from 2D to 3D – was of course particularly fascinating to me, as I’m really clear about the ‘fifty shades of 3D‘;
- From thin films to nanomaterials
- What is a nano-coating?
- biocompatible nanoporous coatings
- ultra-hard coating for stainless steel
- New facility: health care.
- This is of course a company that might be interested in the article I wrote for Image Reports about Digital Colour Brightness as the bridge between RGB and CMYK.