Whilst not yet demonstrable, the key to the innovative visualisations is that they are based on new quantifications:
- the pixel positions are based on numbers
- these numbers can be interpreted as ‘measures’ or ‘metrics’
- they just require interpretation by experts who know what they are looking for.
The value gained by these metrics is comparability:
- images can be compared through the re-visualisation of ‘reference images’
- multi-dimensional data can be compared through layering into vertical slices
- different trend periods can be compared when forecasting time series.