Two Methods to Assess Large Volume Data and the Challenges of Measurement
Visual and Metric Smartness in Web Portals
Computing power, to handle massive data, is now combined with the human ability to see patterns. This technology is highly disruptive: a combination of pixel accuracy and advances in powerful numerical analysis reduces uncertainties in visual and statistical outputs, resulting in reports for decision support.
Smart web portals using this newly combined power offer a special kind of artificial intelligence which learns from both data and human expertise. Benefits of this new technology are:
1. Interpretation and classification of massive amounts of data.
2. Forecasting of short, medium and long term trends.
3. Providing a better description and quantifications of the quality of products, materials and processes.
4. Seeing what was previously invisible and to measure what was previously immeasurable.
5. Combining data from sensors: in production, quality analysis, research or anywhere else.
Examples of the new technology in action:
In INSURANCE: combining climate data with insurance income and claims.
In FINANCE: comparing short-, medium and long-term trends of stock and other prices.
In BUSINESS: combining costs of actual clients with costs of potential clients, i.e. marketing channels.
“Corporate Intelligence portals” would combine the experience of staff for strategic and executive decision making, while staff can participate in refining the process of automation and optimisation at their respective user levels.